Wimborne Town FC vs Poole Town


In the second round of the City Securities Services League Challenge Cup, Wimborne Town hosted local rivals Poole Town at the Koolpak Stadium.

Six of Saturday’s starting eleven had been rested in consideration of this coming Saturday’s long trip to Merthyr. Two players returning from injury, Lee Francis and Billy Maybury, started for the Magpies; recent signing Steve Flynn replaced Toby Holmes and played a full 90 minutes; another new signing, defender Andrew Shah, made his debut; while Gerard Benfield was on the bench for Chad Collins who kept a clean sheet. With the confidence of four consecutive home wins, the Magpies progressed to the last sixteen with a convincing 3-0 win over the Dolphins

Wimborne’s first opportunity came in the 2nd minute with fullback Shah whipping in a low cross to Flynn but it ended up in the keeper’s gloves. Poole’s forward Boban Marikj fired the ball towards the left post which Chad Collins saved on the 11th minute. Wide open Charlie Davis struck a volley but as the ball bounced on the floor Collins again caught the incoming shot.

An initial shot on goal from Luke Burbidge saw Curtis Young leap onto the rebounded shot to fire from the left side of the box, but keeper Ben Rolleston made an impressive double save to parry it out for a corner. That corner was headed out to Young who fired a low ball from outside the box, and midway through that journey the ball was deflected and left the keeper standing in shock as Wimborne added a goal to the scoresheet.

Looking for a second goal, Wimborne continued attacking. Rhys Owen fired from the left-hand side of the pitch, the elevation of the ball was perfect as it just dipped down but was slightly wide of the post on the 27th minute. Shah made an overlap run on the right-hand side and when Burbidge passed a through ball to Shah it left him 1 on 1 with the keeper and he fired quickly, but Rolleston managed to make an important save as the ball bounced off his foot and went out of play.

Luke Holmes delivered a great through ball to Flynn but the striker wasn’t able to hit the back of the net, with Poole’s goalkeeper only just diverting to the other side of the goal. Wimborne’s second goal came 5 minutes before the interval when Holmes played the ball across goal to the open Burbidge who scored against his former club to give the Magpies a 2-0 half-time lead.

A brilliant cross from Burbidge ended up to goal scorer Young who blasted the ball in mid-air for a goal kick in the 63rd minute. Three minutes later Poole’s striker Patrick McKay was played through past Wimborne’s defence as he fired the ball right towards keeper Collins.

A high cross was played to the far post to aerial threat Flynn who then headed the ball over to James Stokoe on the other side, however Poole substitute Steve Richardson managed to toe poke the ball away from goal but only to former teammate Burbidge who drilled in his second goal of the evening on the 90th minute.

Although snatching up the three points on Saturday with a tight 1-0 win against Staines Town in the league, the Magpies played a great game of football with a 3-0 win over rivals Poole Town in front of a crowd of 247 on a very chilly evening, to extend their winning home streak.

Wimborne: Collins, Shah, Penny, Arnold, Maybury (Stokoe 58), Francis, Owen (McWilliams 75), L.Holmes (Bradley 67), Flynn, Burbidge, Young.   Unused sub: Benfield

In the third round of this competition, Wimborne have been drawn at home to Bideford, probably on 11th December.

Report by Max Emes



November 20, 2018
7:45 pm
CSS League Cup


1 Cuthbury Cl, Wimborne BH21, UK


Yellow Cards
Red Cards