Wimborne vs Frome

Warning: DOMDocument::loadHTML(): Empty string supplied as input in /home/wimborne/public_html/wp-content/plugins/make-tables-responsive/make-tables-responsive.php on line 993

Warning: Division by zero in /home/wimborne/public_html/wp-content/plugins/make-tables-responsive/make-tables-responsive.php on line 1040


Wimborne battled it out against Somerset club Frome town on Tuesday evening at the Koolpak stadium, it would be an entertaining game of football from both sides. Matty Oldring added the first goal to the scoresheet with a magnificent header. Further goals from Franklyn Clarke and Luke Burbidge saw Wimborne win 3-2.

Wimborne headed towards the terraced end in the first half. Toby Holmes was through on goal but fired straight at the keeper on the 8th minute. An intriguing cross saw Burbidge volley an awkward ball as it bounced once and went over the bar just minutes later. Frome then responded with Josh Brace shooting over from distance 4 minutes later.

Firing from the edge of the box, Burbidge managed to strike a low-ball which headed towards the bottom right corner as keeper James Carey failed to cover the incoming shot but defender Ollie Knowles relieved his team with an important block. The Magpies were first on the scoresheet when Burbidge’s perfect corner was delivered to defender Oldring who headed the ball from quite a distance as it went over the keeper and bounced off the bottom of the crossbar to send the “Wimborne Massive” erupting with joy!

It would be 14 minutes later that Franklyn Clarke would score his 2nd goal for Wimborne since re-joining the Magpies last week. A deflected shot allowed Clarke to execute a simple tap in to give the home team a 2-0 lead on the 35th minute. However, the Robins responded quickly when striker Ryan Bath struck a beautiful shot as it curled from the right side to the top left corner past Gerard Benfield, it gave Frome a goal back just minutes before heading into the break.

Switching ends, Wimborne scored again 10 minutes into the second period, Burbidge scoring a similar tap-in from a rebounded shot. It restored Wimborne’s two goal lead, but that didn’t stop Frome from coming back. And on the 57th minute midfielder Kris Scott scored his first goal for the Robins.

On 85 minutes Frome’s defender Ricky Scott headed the ball just wide from a corner.

Moments later, as the two players challenged for a high ball, Frome’s Connor Roberts elbowed Toby Holmes in the face and was shown his second yellow card of the night.

With 2 minutes of added time left, Frome started a swift counter attack down the left side. Sam Davidson slid in with a dangerous tackle, and an unattractive brawl just outside the dugouts followed. After consulting with his assistants, referee James flourished both of his cards sending Davidson and Bath, for a second yellow, to the changing rooms.

The game ended with a second win on the trot for Wimborne having won 5-0 in Saturday’s clash against King Langley. Out of the relegation zone, Wimborne will next head towards the capital to play against London team Hendon FC who are currently sitting in a playoff spot!

Max Emes reports.

Wimborne: Benfield, Davidson, Penny, Arnold, Oldring, Stokoe (Kellaway 65), Clarke, L.Holmes, T.Holmes, Burbidge, Young. Unused subs: Lee, Collins, Owen, Shepherd


October 16, 2018
7:45 pm
Evo Stik South


1 Cuthbury Cl, Wimborne BH21, UK



Wimborne Town FC

Toby Holmes Forward
Luke Burbidge Midfielder
Gerard Benfield Goalkeeper
Sam Davidson Defender
Luke Holmes Midfielder
Scott Arnold Defender
Stefan Penny Defender
Curtis Young Midfielder
Franklyn Clarke Midfielder
Yellow Cards
Red Cards