Wimborne vs Poole Town


Wimborne Town 0 Poole Town 4 – 27 Aug 2018 – Att: 918

This eagerly-awaited first league meeting for 6 seasons between the local rivals, in front of a bumper Bank Holiday crowd at the Koolpak Stadium, ended in a comprehensive victory for the visitors. Leading 2-0 on the hour mark, substitute Richard Gillespie helped himself to a late double as Wimborne chased the game.

It was Poole who set the early pace. Former Magpie Franklyn Clarke showed his intent in the first minute with a long-range effort which tested Gerard Benfield. On 4 minutes, Toby Holmes almost created a shooting chance at the other end when coming in from the left but was crowded out by the Poole defence.

From then on it was the well-organised Poole side who looked the more dominant. On 15 minutes the lively Marvin Brooks glanced a free-kick to Clarke whose flicked shot was well saved.

Whenever Wimborne had the ball they were harried into quick passes which were picked off by the busy Dolphins, and second balls inevitably fell to the visitors.

So it was really no surprise when Poole took the lead on 23 minutes. A corner was headed on by Jamie Whisken and the unmarked Jez Bedford scored with a header from inside the goal area.

Wimborne continued to make life difficult for themselves by giving away possession, but the defence kept out a series of corners, and survived two more good attempts by Clarke.

Just before the interval, Wimborne had their first attempts on goal. Luke Burbidge found room to play in Holmes on the right but his fierce shot from an acute angle was well-saved by Luke Cairney. Sam Davidson headed wide from the subsequent corner.

Poole were back on their game at the start of the second half. On 51 minutes, Brooks was played through for a one-on-one with Benfield but pulled his shot wide. Five minutes later a slick-passing move saw Poole move the ball wide on the right to Bedford. Brooks was just thwarted by a Wimborne leg as he raced in for the low cross, and needed treatment. On 59 minutes Brooks doubled the lead when he headed in another cross from Bedford, but he injured himself in the process and was replaced by Gillespie.

As Wimborne chased the game, Poole took control and exploited the gaps being left at the back. Clarke’s curler for the top corner was brilliantly saved by Benfield, before Poole added a clinical third. Jordan Alawode-Williams won the ball at right back and set Bedford away behind the Wimborne defence with the pass of the game; Gillespie met his cross to give Benfield no chance.

Sam Griffin, another ex-Magpie, Bedford, and Carl Pettefer all had efforts saved by Benfield, before substitute Ollie Balmer’s persistence down the right paid off with a low cross which Gillespie converted in the 90th minute.

Wimborne’s first attempt on goal in the half came in added-on time when substitute Curtis Young blasted over the bar.

Poole looked a very good, well-organised side, and on the day were too good for the Magpies.

But Matty Holmes’ young side are quick learners, and will want to bounce back at Chesham on Saturday against a side who are pointless and have only scored once in the league this season.

Wimborne Town: Benfield, Tallack, Penny, Davidson, Arnold, Kellaway (Stokoe 74), Maybury, Francis (Young 70), T.Holmes, Burbidge, Lee.  Unused subs: Lovell, Walker, Owen.

Matchday programme:  Poole 27 Aug 2018 v2 compact


August 27, 2018
3:00 pm
Evo Stik South


1 Cuthbury Cl, Wimborne BH21, UK


Yellow Cards
Red Cards