RECAP: Basingstoke Town FC 3-2 Wimborne Town FC

Having conceded 3 goals in an 18-minute period at Dorchester in a 3-0 defeat, Wimborne travelled to Basingstoke to play at the Camrose Stadium, again without star player Toby Holmes. A quick early goal for the Magpies raised the teams’ spirit until Basingstoke came back with two quick late goals during the last few minutes of play to snatch all three points.

Wimborne made their mark in the game when a through ball was placed for Jack Lovell as he finished from the right side of the box in the 4th minute to make it 1-0 to Matty’s side.  Moments later a deflected cross almost put off Basingstoke’s keeper as he scrambled to recover from a late deflection.

The Magpies continued on building momentum after a good first 10 minutes, Luke Burbidge delivered an exquisite cross for Louis Kellaway but the “goal machine” wasn’t able to execute the perfect header due to the midfielder not being in the best receiving position. Louis Kellaway ran past the Dragon’s defence but was denied from shooting at close range when he was tackled from his left.

Later on, Jordan Lee would pick up a yellow card for a harsh tackle to Basingstoke’s No.11 Zidan Akers, as he was brought down just outside of the box on the left-hand side. After that play, Basingstoke were rewarded with a corner, leading to defender Jim Orvis heading the ball towards the top corner, only to be denied by the gloves of Gerrard.

A great through pass by Burbidge left Jack Lovell sprinting towards the inside of the box as he won his race to get to the ball first. Lovell found an angle to shoot just on the edge of the box and just when everyone thought it was going in, Jim Orvis came to the rescue for Basingstoke and cleared the ball off the line in the 37th minute!

The bond between Burbidge and Lovell started to grow within the first half when another great pass over Basingstoke’s defence led to Jack Lovell volleying the ball as it just went over the bar.

A deflected shot in the 40th minute for Basingstoke allowed Zidan Akers to fire a low ball which just missed the right post. However, it would be in injury time that Akers would punish Wimborne as he ran down the right side and slotted the ball to the bottom left corner to level the game for the Dragons.

Going into the dressing room with the score at 1-1, Wimborne and Basingstoke both deserved to be on equal terms, as both teams put out a display to win the game!

Once again, another pass to Lovell by Burbidge meant another opportunity was going to the Magpies but Basingstoke’s other centre half Dean Stow got to the ball first. With a clear line of view, the Dragons No.7 Sam Smart struck the ball at a fast pace and in return Gerrard accomplished a great fingertip save to his left to keep the hosts out in the 63rd minute.

The Magpies midfielder Lee Francis fired a low ball to the right corner which was saved by McAdden, then Burbidge grabbed onto the rebound but was flagged offside 3 minutes later.

Latching onto a through ball and running at the last man, Curtis Young was pulled back by Dean Stow in the 74th minute and consequently Stow was showed red, as he denied the visitors from a golden opportunity to score! Minutes later saw Curtis Young darting past the hosts defence again and fired first time which ricocheted over McAdden and gracefully went into the back of the net to give Wimborne their 2-1 lead in the 86th minute.

The worst was to come when Basingstoke was given a corner which was played and unfortunately hit Billy Maybury in the arm and presented Basingstoke with a penalty. Callum Bunting stood up, in which he fired towards the middle of the goal. Although Gerrard saved the penalty, the rebound came back to Callum and he buried it to equalise the game again!

Just when Wimborne thought they had a point at least to take away, Basingstoke’s Dan Collier fired a low ball from range which was deflected and off caught Gerrard as it went into the net and sparked off a huge celebration from the home fans. As only moments later the game drew to a close, and the dramatic ending meant that Basingstoke luckily won the game 3-2 as they saw off Wimborne Town in the league.

An unlucky five minutes into injury time nearly meant Wimborne were to win just their second league game of the season, only for the visitor’s hearts to be shattered when the hosts fired two late goals to give Basingstoke the win.

Due to next weekend being reserved for the next round of F.A Cup ties, and Wimborne losing their replay against Dorchester Town earlier in the week, Matty and the team have a fortnight to recover and focus when they host Beaconsfield Town on the 29th September at the Koolpak stadium, with the addition of Toby Holmes coming back from his holiday!

– Max Emes reporting