The Magpies make it ten unbeaten at home!

After achieving an impressive 1-1 draw against league leaders Taunton Town on Saturday, Wimborne were set to play another difficult fixture against 2nd place Metropolitan Police FC on a chilly Tuesday evening.

Travelling from London, the Blues had only suffered one defeat out of 14 games so far this season on the road. This impressive away record spurred on the visitors to gain a good result. Defender Billy Maybury made his return after missing out Saturday’s important fixture.

The visitors started extremely well by applying pressure within Wimborne’s box, a scramble in the 6 yard box saw Sam Davidson clear the ball away from danger following Gerard Benfield’s double save on the 15th minute.

Blues captain Oliver Robinson headed the ball at the back of the net only for it to be ruled offside moments later. Two minutes later, forward Jack Mazzone struck a shot at close range for Gerard to make a quick fingertip save. Nesta-Guiness Walker volleyed the ball just wide to the right. At the other end Blues defender Alex Fisher headed the ball off the line after an intriguing cross was played by Burbidge into the box on the 32nd minute.

Running down the left wing, Stefan Penny progressed into the box and slotted the ball just inches away from the right post. On the 38th minute a short free kick was played to Billy Maybury who fired the ball low but couldn’t hit the target. And so the first half ended goalless before heading into the break.

Coming out of the changing rooms, the Magpies made an instant impact with prolific goal scorer Toby Holmes slotting the ball past Keeper O’Reilly to the bottom right corner on the 46th minute when a great through ball was completed by Luke Burbidge which allowed the hosts to go on the score sheet first.

Wimborne’s second came on the 63rd minute when Toby returned the favour by playing the ball back to Burbidge as the winger launched the ball past O’Reilly to extend the Magpie’s lead to 2-0. A minute later from the other side of the pitch, saw Mazzone fire the ball wide in a desperate attempt to get a goal back for his team. Playmaker Luke Holmes passed the ball back to Burbidge who just curled the ball wide missing the top right corner. Defender Billy Maybury toe poked the ball wide to his left after a difficult corner was played for him on the 75th minute.

On the 76th minute trying to get his hat trick, Toby Holmes volleyed the ball towards O’Reilly as he saved the oncoming shot with ease. Metropolitan’s midfielder Oliver Knight managed to miss another crucial opportunity for the visitors when he rifled the ball above the top left corner, with 5 minutes left of normal time.

However Toby crushed the visitor’s dreams of at least obtaining a point when he got his second goal of the evening, as the striker dribbled past the defence and fired towards the opposite corner, giving the Magpies a 3-0 lead.

Shortly after Toby’s second goal, the final whistle was blown, resulting in Wimborne attaining another brilliant result against a top side. Despite the cold conditions on the evening, an attendance of 242 witnessed Wimborne’s victory at the Koolpak Stadium  and are now set to play against Hartley Wintney on Saturday. We hope to see  many of you there this Saturday!

Wimborne: Benfield, Clarke, Maybury, Davidson, Oldring, Francis, Stokoe, Penny (Young 67), T.Holmes (Owen 90), Burbidge, L.Holmes.     Unused subs: Lee, Collins, Douglas

Att: 242

Max Emes reporting.

Download the Match Programme here: Met Police 29 Jan 2019 v2 compact