Weymouth vs Wimborne

A battling performance by the Magpies went unrewarded after Terras’ substitute Harry Baker scored the only goal of the game in the 84th minute.

After the midweek League Cup clash, both managers shuffled their teams: Matty Holmes made 4 changes, while Mark Molesley had the luxury of bringing in 7 new faces to his starting line-up.

Playing into the gusting wind in the first half, Sam Davidson made a vital sliding tackle on Brandon Goodship on 8 minutes. But Wimborne had the best early chance after 16 minutes: Luke Burbidge floated a cross from the left to the far post where Toby Holmes was unable to get a good contact, the ball dribbled across the goal area and Matt Oldring was unable to get a shot in.

Apart from Luke Holmes firing wide three minutes later following a quick break, most of the action for the rest of the half was at the other end as Weymouth built pressure on the visitors’ goal. Inevitably Goodship was heavily involved. On 20 minutes he forced Gerard Benfield into a low diving save, then the keeper denied Abdulai Baggie and Warren Bentley as the home side forced two corners in quick succession on the half-hour mark.

Two minutes later Oldring made a stunning low headed block before Goodship picked up a loose clearance, drove at the defence and blasted wide.

On forty minutes that man Benfield made a superb double save – first from Baggie then from Goodship from the rebound. Wimborne had one more escape just before the break when Calvin Brooks drove in from the right to set-up Bentley who shot narrowly wide of the far post.

Playing with the wind at their backs, Wimborne made a good start to the second period. Davidson’s through ball for Luke Holmes was cut out by home keeper Jordan Seabright, Luke Burbidge sent a sighter wide before the industrious Lee Francis and Toby Holmes created a chance for Burbidge which Seabright saved. From the corner Oldring’s shot was blocked.

Although Wimborne were having the better of the play, Weymouth looked dangerous going forward and Bentley cut the ball across the face of the goal on 65 minutes. Ten minutes later the Terras again got behind the Magpies’ defence for Jordan Ngalo to pull the ball back from the by-line – fortunately Stephane Zubar was unsighted and the ball trickled wide after hitting his legs.

After Burbidge had his shot blocked, and Luke Holmes’ effort from 25 yards went agonisingly inches wide, Weymouth had their only shot on target in the second period. From no real threat, the ball squirmed through to Baker in space in the box, to calmly slot past Benfield.

In added-on time, Louis Kellaway rounded Seabright from Toby’s deft flick before shooting wide, and Burbidge’s shot found the net but was judged offside.

This was a battling team performance against the classy league leaders. Wimborne matched them all over the park except for where it counts – putting the ball in the net.

Attendance: 942