Dorchester Town vs Wimborne Town

Dorchester Town were held to a 1-1 draw as a battling Wimborne Town took a point from their Evo-Stik Southern Premier South clash at the Clayson Stadium.

Tom Blair gave the Magpies an eighth-minute lead, tapping home Aaron Rodriguez’s lay-off from 10 yards.

The hosts missed several first-half chances before Wimborne improved and equalised through Luke Holmes. Luke Burbidge also struck the woodwork as Dorchester survived.

Steve Thompson made four changes to the starting XI that began the 1-0 Ridgeway derby loss to Weymouth on Boxing Day, three of which were enforced.

Ross Carmichael (hamstring), Harry Kite (ankle) and Cameron Murray (toe) missed out, with Brennan Camp, Luke Winsper and Rodriguez coming in.

Blair replaced Antonio Diaz in the Magpies’ other change, while there was a welcome return to the matchday squad for Dom Panesar-Dower after a long spell out with illness.

Ben Morris was recalled to the Dorchester 16, joining Nick Hutchings and Ash Pope on the bench.

Looking to restore early belief following their last-minute defeat to the Terras three days previously, Dorchester began well and nearly scored after five minutes.

Blair jinked inside and out under pressure before clipping a delicious ball to Callum Rose, who offloaded to Winsper. The midfielder then cracked a deflected shot out for a corner which was taken short to Kyle Egan, the right-back sending his delivery into the onrushing Camp to glance a weak header wide from 12 yards.

Three minutes later, Dorchester claimed the goal their bright start deserved via Blair, who netted his sixth goal in six games.

Good interplay between Egan and Rodriguez unleashed the latter near the byline and the winger pulled the ball back expertly for the unmarked Blair to bury his finish from 10 yards.

Moments afterwards, Winsper was called upon to make a superb goalline clearance after former Magpie Toby Holmes saw his shot blocked by Kingsley Latham.

Ben Seymour, who leapt to win several aerial duels in the first half, then nodded down for Blair to curl at Benfield as the end-to-end action continued.

At this stage, Wimborne had no answer to the pace of Blair, Seymour and Rodriguez on the break and, after Winsper drilled a clearance just over from 25 yards, Rodriguez cut inside after another speedy attack before shooting just over from 18 yards.

Seymour was the next Dorchester player to miss a presentable chance, understandably skewing his header wide with Blair’s volleyed pass carrying too much pace.

Exeter loanee Seymour nearly profited when Benfield dithered in claiming a header back before Clarke twice blazed over from Burbidge pull-backs.

Ex-Terra Burbidge was increasingly earning joy down the Wimborne right and it came as no surprise when he provided an assist just before half-time.

Moments after the unsighted Rodriguez missed a header from six yards, Burbidge got down the outside of Sam Jackson to the byline where he chipped a perfect cross for Luke Holmes to nod in from three yards at the back post.

After the break, Dorchester tested Benfield when Rodriguez shot low from 20 yards but Wimborne this time threatened on the break when a Toby Holmes effort fizzed past Latham’s right-hand post with the Southampton loanee unmoved.

Burbidge was incensed after hitting a sensational effort against the post and bar from an acute angle, believing the ball to have crossed the line, but the officials waved play on to the disbelief of the away side.

Dorchester manager Thompson threw on Diaz and the Spaniard nearly made an immediate impact, his chipped cross cleared to Billy Lowes who blasted at Benfield from 20 yards to earn a corner from which Diaz poked Blair’ delivery wide at the near post.

Winsper then cracked a long-range attempt at Benfield, who again dealt with the danger, before Clarke cynically brought down Diaz to earn a booking when Dorchester countered upfield.

Burbidge and Seymour wasted further chances for their respective sides as a disappointing second half came to a close, both teams forced into settling for a point that keeps them hovering above the bottom three.

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose, Camp, Winsper (Panesar-Dower 88),, Rodriguez (Diaz 66), Lowes, Seymour, Blair (Pope 76), Jackson. Subs not used:Hutchings, Morris.

Wimborne: Benfield, Penny, Maybury, Davidson, Oldring, Pettefer, Clarke, Young, T Holmes, Burbidge, L Holmes. Subs not used: Francis, Phillips, Shepherd, Owen

Referee: Declan O’Shea (Chippenham)

Attendance: 594

Report from Neil Walton, Dorset Echo.


Dorchester vs Wimborne

Dorchester Town 3 Wimborne Town 0 – FA Cup 1st Round Qualifying replay – 11 Sep 2018

Having conceded a heart-breaking last-minute goal at the Koolpak Stadium, Wimborne travelled to Dorchester on a foggy Tuesday evening for the replay. The prize for the winners was £6,000, and a trip to Tiverton in the next round.

Wimborne, who went into the game without key player Toby Holmes moving Jack Lovell upfront with Luke Burbidge on the right wing, started the first half very well…

As both teams analysed each other’s style of play, Dorchester fired first with Callum Thompson hitting a low volley which Gerard Benfield saved to the bottom right corner in the 14th minute. Burbidge responded by producing a dangerous cross to Lovell who just headed the ball over the goal. Outside the box, Burbidge struck the ball from a comfortable position, but it went over in the 16th minute.

Wimborne carried on piling pressure towards Dorchester’s goal in the first half but couldn’t find the net. Burbidge curled the ball just over the net six minutes later, then Lovell, running in from the right, went 1 on 1 with the keeper and fired low to the inside post but Kingsley Latham covered his corner.

A miscommunication at the back meant Dorchester’s no.11 Callum Thompson was able to fire quickly within the 6-yard box and somehow Benfield responded with a quick save. In the 40th minute it was Lovell again who latched onto a through ball forcing Latham into an impressive save.

After Wimborne had been dominant in the first half, Dorchester proved to be the better team in the second period, scoring 3 goals in 18 minutes …

The first came when ex Wimborne player Billy Lowes headed home a cross from close range.

It would only be moments later that Aaron Rodriguez made it 2-0 when he dribbled past Wimborne’s defence and slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

Luke Burbidge was through on goal but was immediately tackled to deny Wimborne from scoring in the 70th minute.

Then, when the ball was played across goal with 10 minutes left on the clock, Luke Winsper slotted home to finish off the game.

The harsh lesson learnt here for Wimborne’s Magpies is that if you switch off after a great first half the other team will capitalise on indifferent defending as Dorchester did when they punished Wimborne during that devastating 18-minute period.

Wimborne: Benfield, Lee, Maybury, Davidson, Arnold, Kellaway (Francis 71), Stokoe, Penny (Owen 85), Young (Shepherd 78), Burbidge, Lovell.      Unused subs: Walsh, Okumu

Att: 476

Report by Max Emes