Taunton Town vs Wimborne Town

Taunton vs Wimborne

Bouncing off from a 2-1 victory against Hartley and Witney at the Koolpak Stadium, the Magpies travelled to high-flying Taunton Town who sat 3rd in the league table. This fixture never fails to provide entertainment for both sets of fans, previously Wimborne came back from a thrilling last-minute equaliser to make it 3-3 with the final kick of the game last season.

This compelling matchup saw six goals with Wimborne taking the lead in the 12th minute. Defender Sam Davidson made his return with Jordan Lee replacing full back Stefan Penny  .Wimborne were able to find the net twice, unlike Taunton who scored 4 times within a 20-minute period in the second half, the Viridor Stadium saw an attendance of 489 with a 4-2 victory for the hosts.

Without star striker Toby Holmes, manager Matty Holmes had to use his other arsenal and it became effective on the twelfth minute when Curtis Young dribbled past Taunton’s defence and fired a low ball to the bottom right corner beating goalkeeper Lloyd Irish as he just got a fingertip on the ball. Taunton’s Dan Sullivan fired a menacing volley towards the bottom right corner which Gerard Benfield saved. In the 38th minute Craig Veal struck a ball from the right-hand side of the box but just missed the left corner of the goal. Again Veal fired a dazzling shot as it went over Paddy Hester and smashed the top right corner of the framework which then went out of play!

Despite Wimborne having a very good first half of keeping possession and being in the lead, Taunton were continuously piling on the pressure for Benfield with endless waves of attacks, and a goal seemed inevitable for the Peacocks.

Just before the hour mark it came. Ryan Brett dribbled alongside Wimborne’s defence and drilled in a low ball through Scotty Arnold’s legs which left Benfield standing on his goal line as he heard the roar from the Taunton fans behind him. Two minutes later Taunton Town went up a gear, as a missed pass by Benfield allowed Taunton to capitalise when Sullivan fired in a rebounded shot from the bar to give the hosts the lead. On the 73rd minute a low cross was played to Veal as he slid in to tap the ball in to the net to give Taunton a 3-1 lead!

It wasn’t over for the Peacocks when forward Matt Wright launched a shot from the right side of the box which went past Benfield to give Taunton a comfortable 4-1 lead. Jack Lovell was brought on in the 83rd minute for his first appearance since suffering an injury. Shortly after, Luke Burbidge passed in a brilliant through ball from a funny angle which found the eager Lovell and, with his first touch of the game, he slipped it through the legs of Irish, although the keeper did manage to get a fingertip onto the ball but that didn’t stop Wimborne from scoring their second goal. However, it was too little too late…

The final whistle blew with the game ending 4-2. This was an important victory for the hosts but a disappointing defeat for the visitors. The Magpies are set to play against Staines Town this Saturday (17th) at the Koolpak stadium, kick-off 3pm, with Staines currently in the relegation zone.

Wimborne: Benfield, Lee, Hester, Arnold, Oldring, Davidson, Stokoe. L.Holmes, Clarke, Burbidge, Young (Lovell 80).
Unused subs: Owen, Bradley, Okumu, Walsh (GK)
Att: 489

Max Emes Reporting.