Wimborne held 3-3 by Hendon FC

Hendon’s first visit to Wimborne saw an entertaining 3-3 draw at the Koolpak Stadium. Another large attendance of 388 watched this compelling match in spite of the wet conditions on the day.

The Magpies started promisingly when Toby Holmes hit the crossbar within the first minute of play. Luke Holmes then tried from long range despite the attention of Hendon’s goalkeeper, Danny Boness, who had scrambled outside the box. On the 15th minute Burbidge struck a low ball from distance which rebounded off the left post. However, Wimborne fell behind 7 minutes later, when Ryan Hope fired a low menacing shot to the bottom left corner which Gerard managed to partially save but the momentum of the ball caught Gerard out, as the ball slipped through his gloves.

Regardless of conceding, Wimborne soon bounced back. Goalkeeper Boness collided into Toby Holmes, but the rebound fell to Luke Burbidge who curled the ball from 25 yards out into the top corner to equalise. On the 35th minute, Luke Burbidge played a great through ball to midfielder Luke Holmes who slotted the ball wide to the left from a tight angle. Dribbling with the ball, Burbidge switched the play from the right-hand side, but with no receiver in the box the ball marginally missed the top left corner, on the 39th minute.

A controversial moment occurred on 42 minutes, when Hendon were awarded a penalty after the referee saw a push in the box during a corner. Moments later, up stepped Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick who struck the ball towards the bottom left corner giving the visitors a 2-1 lead heading into the break. Before the first half ended, outside the 6-yard box, Burbidge fired a threatening shot at close range which Boness parried out for a corner, as the visitors went to rejuvenate themselves inside, with a promising 2-1 lead.

Returning from the changing rooms, Curtis Young replaced Luke Holmes, who received a cut on his head in the first half. Wimborne started the second half very well by scoring 2 early goals by the main man himself, Toby Holmes.  A lofted pass by Stefan Penny was played for Toby Holmes as he chipped the ball over Danny Boness and tallied down the second goal for the hosts on the 53rd minute.

A quick throw in from Franklyn Clarke was flicked on by Burbidge for Toby who was standing unmarked and scored with his head and extended Wimborne’s lead to 3-2! However, Hendon responded with a header of their own, when central defender Darren Locke rifled the ball past Gerard to equalise the game again on the 65th minute. Darting on the counter attack, substitute Obi Ogo struck a worrying shot as the ball collided with the outer bar, as it then bounced off the line out of danger.

For once Toby was unable to convert a one-on-one situation when he pulled the trigger too late as he whizzed past the keeper on the 75th minute. Hendon again looked menacing when Ryan Hope fired the ball from outside the box which saw Gerard jump up to keep the ball out of the net in the 81st minute. Four minutes later, the striker drilled in a low shot which saw Gerard, once again, save the oncoming shot to the bottom left.

The game ended in a thrilling 3-3 draw which extends the Magpie’s unbeaten home league record to 11 games. Wimborne next travel to Devon and play Tiverton Town who are just a few places above the relegation zone. We hope to see many of you there at the Ladysmead Stadium cheering on the Magpies!

Wimborne: Benfield, Clarke, Maybury, Davidson, Oldring, Francis, Stokoe, Penny, T.Holmes, Burbidge, L.Holmes (Young 46)  Unused subs: Collins, Lee, Owen, Prior

Matchday Program: Hendon 9 Feb 2019 v2 compact