Wimborne Town vs Truro City


Listen back to Tuesday’s match coverage of Magpies 2-2 draw against second placed Truro City at J & B’s Stadium, Cuthbury. To listen to Danny Holmes after match reaction, scroll to 2:08:45.

Wimborne Town 2-2 Truro City
(Penny 62p’ Maybury 69′) (Peteffer 34’og Jephcott 83p’)
Att: 266
Tuesday 17th September – Southern League Premier Division South

A night of drama and top quality football ended with honours even as these two sides went all out for a winner in a pulsating second half.

Unsurprisingly, Manager Danny Holmes kept the same starting XI following Saturday’s excellent performance at Beaconsfield.

Spectators’ hopes that the White Tigers, lying second in the table with five wins from seven, would be coach-lagged after their long journey from Cornwall were soon dashed. In the 4th minute, speedy right-back Niall Thompson whipped in a cross for Stewart Yetton’s header at the far post to be saved on the line by Cameron Plain. At the other end, visiting keeper James Hamon raced out to deny Luke Burbidge, and set-up a quick counter-attack, but Yetton’s cross from the right found no takers. On 11 minutes, Wimborne went route one – Plain’s clearance was headed on by Tony Lee for Burbidge to shoot over the bar. Alex Battle’s cross from the right brought another save by Plain; skipper Billy Maybury made a vital interception in the box; and Sam Davidson, confronted by two attackers, coolly cleared his lines.

It was a fast-paced opening to the game. The young Truro side attacked in numbers at speed, while Lee, looking every inch a classic centre-forward, won headers and disrupted the visiting defence.

The White Tigers were ramping up the pressure, and it was no great surprise when they opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark. In another quick counter-attack, Thompson whipped in a cross from wide on the right, and the unfortunate Carl Pettefer could only deflect the ball into his own net. Having taken the lead, Truro dominated the rest of the half. They confidently stroked the ball around at the back, then, when they saw the opportunity, attacked at pace. Battle and Thompson were prominent instigators as the young, energetic Truro side made space in mid-field. However, Wimborne’s back-line was in a determined mood, and Sams Davidson and Poole repelled wave after wave of attacks. And with keeper Plain in fine form behind them, a relieved Wimborne reached the interval with just a single goal deficit.

That man Thompson created the first chance after the break with an inch-perfect through ball for Luke Jephcott down the inside-right channel, but he was denied at the near post by the flying feet of Plain. On 55 minutes, Jephcott was played through again but, aiming for the far post this time, pulled his shot wide.
Shortly after, typical trickery by the in-form Burbidge, saw him pull the ball back from the by-line for Sam Bayston whose shot was blocked. Minutes later, Bayston’s cross from the right forced a corner, and, just after the hour mark, referee Barlow made a game-changing decision. Burbidge’s corner from the left went into a crowd of players in the goal area; referee Barlow spotted an infringement and pointed to the spot. Stefan Penny kept his cool during the visitors’ protestations, and successfully despatched the penalty – his second in successive games.

With the crowd roaring them on, the Magpies sensed they could get more from the game. More Burbidge trickery saw him flash the ball across the face of Hamon’s goal, moments before, on 67 minutes, Wimborne took the lead. Racing on to a through ball, Lee’s speed and determination took him ahead of central defender Adel Gafaiti. As he reached the top of the “D” and was about to pull the trigger, Gafaiti brought him down and received a red card for his efforts. But worse was to follow for the visitors – the free-kick was skipper Billy Maybury distance! And to the delight of the passionate crowd, his shot beat both wall and keeper.

A single goal lead was never enough against a team as good as Truro, even with a man short. So the hosts went looking for a third goal. More Burbidge magic saw him pull the ball back for Bayston, but his hurried shot from 8 yards went wide. Then into the final ten minutes, referee Barlow made another crucial decision. Thompson pushed forward in attack, jinked past two defenders on the left and, as he neared the box, went down under the next challenge. To the bemusement of players and spectators, the official pointed to the spot. Jephcott drove the penalty beyond Plain to level the scores.

As the clock ticked over into time added-on, the Magpies created one last chance to bag all the points. Franklyn Clarke’s shot was half-saved by Hamon, and with an open goal beckoning, Maybury’s rebound volley from 5 yards went agonisingly over the bar.

This was irresistible football of top quality. It would have been harsh for either side to have finished empty-handed. In the FA Cup tie and this exhilarating league game, this Wimborne side has shown that they are a match for a very good Truro team at the top end of the table.

Wimborne Town: Plain, Penny 62p’, Maybury 69′ (yc 86′), Davidson, Poole, Pettefer 23’og (Doe 79′), Young, Clarke, Lee (yc 26′ (Roberts 75′), Burbidge, Bayston
Unused Subs: Stokoe, Gunstone-Gray (gk), Buck
Att: 266



September 17, 2019
7:45 pm
BetVictor Southern Premier South League


1 Cuthbury Cl, Wimborne BH21, UK


Yellow Cards
Red Cards