Salisbury FC 4-3 Wimborne Town FC

Following Tuesday’s 3-1 victory over Shaftesbury in the Dorset Senior Cup, The Magpies made the short trip to Salisbury to play in the league fixture.

A promising 4-2 victory last season over the Whites saw Wimborne stay in the top end of the table. Despite that memorable win, Wimborne Town fell short by losing 4-3 at the Ray Mac stadium on Saturday with Wimborne making a desperate comeback within the last few minutes of play.

Wimborne ultimately didn’t prove to be as strong within the first half, as the level of football took a toll for the Magpies. Gerard Benfield had another great game despite conceding 4 goals against a good local side, his first save came on the 16th minute as forward Luke Hopper struck a menacing shot towards Benfield as he parried the ball over the goal. Salisbury took advantage of this when Pablo Haysham whipped in the ball to Hopper, and placed the return towards the right corner of the net with Gerard diving the wrong way in the 19th minute.

Again Salisbury scored, this time coming from a free kick as Partridge fired the ball in after the set piece on the 32nd minute. Only minutes later, Mullins drilled in a low shot from the right side which just went wide of the goal, keeping Benfield on his toes.

Just after the break, Salisbury continued with that goal-scoring form, when only 2 minutes after the interval, striker Luke Hopper added number three. Unfortunately for the visitors it would be on the 48th minute that Wimborne would concede their fourth goal of the afternoon when Salisbury’s Thomas Whelan ran on the right side of the box and penetrated Wimborne’s defence as he fired the ball past Gerard.

However, conceding four goals didn’t stop Wimborne from attacking, and the Magpies scored their first goal on the 66th minute when winger Luke Burbidge launched the ball from inside the box which caught a deflection on the way and ended up in the bottom left corner. With no celebration and running back to Wimborne’s half with the ball in Luke’s hand, Wimborne scored again seven minutes later when a cross was played for Toby Holmes as he tapped in Wimborne’s second at the Ray Mac Stadium. A free kick outside the box for Salisbury, Christopher Shepard curled the ball over the wall for a waiting Benfield who caught the ball on the 78th minute.

An initial shot from substitute James Stokoe led the ball going back to the midfielder as he carefully placed the ball to the bottom right corner as Salisbury’s keeper Jake Hallett dived the wrong way on the last minute of normal time. Once again Wimborne rushed back into their own half to hopefully at least achieve an equaliser! Unfortunately, that equaliser didn’t come for the Magpies as the final whistle of the game was eventually blown, sending Wimborne home with zero points in the bag. Despite conceding four goals , credit is due to the team as they came back with 3 assuring goals, when it looked almost certainly impossible to at least return to Dorset with one point.

Wimborne are set to play Bideford AFC this coming Tuesday evening in the City Security Services League Challenge Cup. Following that game the Magpies are home once again with league action taking place this Saturday against Metropolitan Police at the Koolpak Stadium. We would like to see as many of you supporting on the team!

Wimborne: Benfield, Penny (Stoke 62), Hester, Davidson, Oldring (Lee, 69), Clarke, Maybury, L.Holmes, T.Holmes, Burbidge, Young (Owen, 81).

Unused subs: Collins, Francis

 Att: 622

Max Emes Reporting