Poole Town vs Wimborne Town

Listen back to last night’s match coverage of Magpies 4-2 win against Poole Town at The Black Gold Stadium, Tatnam. To listen to Danny Holmes after match reaction scroll to 2:17:54 with exclusive news regarding Luke Holmes.

Poole Town 2-4 Wimborne Town
(Cope 41′ Dyer 44′) (Bayston 25′ Lee 43′ Poole 64′ Shepherd 75p’)
Att: 212
Tuesday 10th September – CSS Southern League Challenge Cup Prelim Round

Wimborne recorded their first away victory of the season, and a first win for caretaker manager Danny Holmes, at local rivals Poole in the League Cup. Both managers used the game as an opportunity to have a look at squad players and new recruits, and rest regulars – Wimborne made 5 changes in their starting XI from Saturday’s FA Cup tie, Poole making 7. With both sides playing flowing football, the game turned out to be an entertaining spectacle – Wimborne had 18 goal attempts, Poole 21.

Luke Burbidge, skipper for the night, got things underway with a dribble through midfield before releasing Curtis Young who was denied by Poole keeper Harry Phillips. Flavio Tavares flashed the ball across the face of Wimborne’s goal; Jake Cope, coming in from the left wing, sent a curler against the visitors’ far post; a Burbidge shot was deflected for a corner; and Magpies’ keeper Lewis Gunstone-Gray made a spectacular diving save – all this in the first ten minutes.

Poole’s Jez Bedford was brought down on the edge of the box, and Micky Hubbard’s free-kick was well held by the young keeper before he saved with his feet from the eye-catching Cope. Although Poole had a spell of pressure, Wimborne came into the game around the mid-point of the half. Burbidge, relishing his role in central midfield, released Young down the right, he crossed first time but Tony Lee’s close-range effort was blocked; Sam Davidson’s header from the corner only found keeper Phillips.

The only surprise was that it took 25 minutes to break the deadlock. Josh Hall found Sam Bayston on the left. He twisted and turned, twice beating his full-back, before finding the net with a cool finish.

The game flowed from end-to-end. Lee tried an audacious lob; Matthew Dodd made a goal-saving tackle in his own box; Bayston was edged off the ball from Hall’s pass; Franklyn Clarke shot wide from Burbidge’s pass; Lee’s spectacular scissor-kick was brilliantly saved by Phillips; and Poole’s Josh Leslie-Smith headed over from a corner. It was breathtaking fare!

Poole equalised on 42 minutes. Gunstone-Gray’s indecision in dealing with a through ball saw him spill the ball under pressure on the edge of his area, and Cope lobbed into the unguarded net. Wimborne’s response was instant. Lee took advantage of a defensive mistake high in the Poole half, headed towards goal, and rounded the keeper to restore the lead.

And the action continued after the break. Lee headed away a Poole corner before Harry Baker headed wide when well placed. Phillips needed two attempts to keep out Burbidge’s shot from distance, and Clarke used his long legs to make 3 vital interceptions. Young led a speedy counter-attack before shooting weakly; Tavares’ inviting cross found no taker; Lee’s charge down the left threatened the home defence; while at the other end Jez Bedford, coming in off the left wing, fired wild and wide.

Wimborne’s third goal came on 65 minutes. After another mesmerising run by Burbidge ended with a corner, Sam Poole was in the right place to poke the ball home after some pin-ball in the area. Ten minutes later, substitute Aidan Shepherd was wrestled to the ground as he controlled the ball with his back to goal. The youngster confidently despatched the penalty.

Richard Gillespie forced a fine one-handed save from Gunstone-Gray, but there was little the keeper could do as Jason Dyer’s drive from the edge of the box flew into the net in the last minute. There was still time for Bayston to turn provider but Burbidge’s shot was well saved, denying the skipper the goal his performance deserved. In time added-on, Sam Jackson received a straight red card for a poor challenge on Young.

This was a cracking game, full of great football from both sides, and a great advert for non-league football. Yes, it’s a fairly meaningless competition, but a great confidence booster for The Magpies ahead of Saturday’s crucial game at Beaconsfield.

Wimborne: Gunstone-Grey, Helyar (Tilsed 56′), Dodd (Maybury 51′), Davidson, Poole 64′, Hall (YC 70′), Young, Clarke, Lee 43′ (Shepherd (75p’) 65′), Burbidge, Bayston 25′
Unused subs: Stokoe, Walsh
Att: 212


Poole Town vs Wimborne Town

Listen back to today’s match coverage of Magpies 3-1 derby defeat at the BlackGold Stadium Tatnam. To listen to Matty Holmes after match reaction scroll to 2:30:14

Poole Town 3-1 Wimborne Town
(Baker 59′ 73′ Dennett 86′) (Roberts 38′)
Att: 743
Monday 26th August – Southern League Premier

There was an impeccable minutes silence held for baby Olivia Hubbard, Poole Town FC assistant manager, Micky Hubbards daughter before that match kicked off.

After taking the lead against the run of play on 38 minutes, Wimborne were eventually overwhelmed by three second half goals in a much improved performance.

Manager Holmes made two changes to his starting XI – Joe Byrne and Connor Doe replacing Sam Davidson and James Stokoe.

Poole dominated possession from the first whistle on a hot, sunny afternoon. Corby Moore fired over Cameron Plain’s bar before Jez Bedford’s inviting low cross found no takers. Wimborne’s first attack came on 8 minutes. Luke Burbidge played Kieran Roberts through on the right with the outside of his boot, but the striker’s shot from an acute angle was well saved by Luke Cairney.

That was a rare Wimborne expedition into the Poole half. The lively Bedford frequently caused problems for the visitors on their right – he made space for himself before firing over on 14 minutes, then played a 1-2 with Harry Baker with the same end result, before Josh Carmichael’s drive from 15 yards brought a brilliant diving save from Plain. Wimborne did make a sortie into Poole territory shortly after – Roberts played Luke Holmes through on the right, but he lost his footing at the crucial moment.

The first foul of the game came on 28 minutes.

Marvin Brooks fired over from Bedford’s low cross, and Josh Leslie-Smith mis-kicked from Oliver Dennett’s cross as the home side continued to spurn good chances.

Stef Penny replaced Joe Byrne on 32 minutes, with Billy Maybury moving into central defence. Carl Pettefer won the ball in mid-field to set-up Roberts for a shot on 38 minutes, moments before the opening goal. Holmes bemused the Poole midfield with a “now you see me, now you don’t” run before threading the ball through for Roberts, and the striker wasted no time in finding the back of the net – a cracking goal.

Bedford had another shot blocked, and Will Spetch’s header was comfortably caught by Plain as Wimborne reached the interval with their lead intact.

It was the visitors who started the second half the better. Penny made an incisive interception before finding Roberts, Buck dispossessed Bedford, and the willing Roberts chased a lost cause down the left to win a throw deep into Poole territory. Then on 52 minutes Luke Burbidge played Roberts through before the striker’s two attempts were both saved by the feet of Cairney. Another Holmes’ dribble produced the first yellow card of the game – for Jamie Whisken.

But after good defending on the edge of the box to deny Dennett, Poole came back to equalise just before the hour mark. Bedford slipped Baker in centrally to give Plain no chance. Two minutes later Wimborne had a great chance to restore their lead. Roberts crossed from the right for Holmes to head wide at the far post after the striker had made another lung-bursting run to retrieve the ball. Cairney spilled Burbidge’s corner, and when the resultant short corner was played back to Burbidge, Connor Doe, under immense pressure, headed over from under the bar.

At the other end Buck made a great block on Baker’s shot, and Roberts cleared the corner with a massive header. On 72 minutes, having just joined the fray, Davidson was booked for a foul. Corby Moore floated the free-kick to the back post, where it was headed across goal and Baker volleyed the bouncing ball past Plain to put the Dolphins ahead.

Five minutes later Wimborne won 4 corners in quick succession. Maybury’s curler from the edge of the box hit the bottom of Cairney’s post from the second of them. But these were the visitors last chances. With five minutes left, Poole wrapped up the points. Plain dived at the feet of Tavares to deny the substitute, only for the ricochet to fall for Dennett who netted. Whisken nearly added a fourth in time added on, but by then Poole had the game won.

This was a hard-working, battling performance by Wimborne. Poole go to the top of the table following this win while Wimborne slip into the bottom three. Our next two league matches are against the teams below us – crucial games even at this early stage of the season.

Wimborne: Plain, Maybury, Buck, Bryne (Penny 32′), Poole, Pettefer, Clarke, Holmes, Roberts (Young 80′), Burbidge, Doe (Davidson (YC 72′) 70′)
Unused subs: Lee, Bayston,
Att: 743

Poole Town Vs Wimborne Town

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: WP Frank

Next games:
Sat 31st August Walton Casuals home – Southern League
Sat 7th August tbc home/away – Emirates FA Cup 1Q

Poole Town vs Wimborne

Derby Day didn’t disappoint as Wimborne Town won their first league game away from home in spectacular style, putting five past local rivals Poole Town and sparking scenes amongst the away supporters.

Toby Holmes had put the Magpies ahead early in the first half with Wimborne’s only real chance of the opening 45minutes. Poole’s defense being cut open on 8 minutes and the Magpie Dangerman finished in routine fashion. Poole Town slowly applied pressure and eventually found a way past Benfield, who had made several decent saves to preserve the lead, to equalise on the half hour mark and then take the lead ten minutes later, to ensure they went in at half time with in all fairness, a deserved lead.

The momentum had swung and Poole continued to look dangerous after the break, with some relentless attacking play. Wimborne grew into the game but at times were on the ropes and had Benfield to thank, in what would turn out to be vital saves to keep Wimborne in the game.

On 69 minutes, Curtis Young replaced former Dolphin Franklyn Clarke and just a minute later, Burbidge’s delivery in from a free kick down the right proved tempting and Stokoe powered home a terrific header to bring the game level, hitting the underside of the bar and bouncing over the line. And indeed it would be the ex-Poole player, who made the second half his own, cutting inside from the right and beating his man to bury it home at a tight angle for 2-3.

Poole’s heads would drop and on 81 minutes, their goalkeeper had a moment to forget as Curtis Young hit a low shot from outside the area, which for all the world looked to be a routine save, only for it to wriggle underneath him and give Wimborne a two goal lead. Words were exchanged in the home dugout and there was a break in play as the referee headed for the dugout and gave Killick his marching orders, clambering over the nearby advertising hoardings as his team completely lost their shape.

Wimborne, having looked second best for most the game were playing with the freedom and flair we’ve come to expect from them, at home at least! They responded to crowd cheers for five as Poole were pegged back and Toby charged in on goal, rounding the keeper and calmly slotting home to seal the three points and top off his Birthday celebrations.

It may have taken half the season to get our first win away from home, on the shortest of away trips as-well, but it was well worth the wait. A five star performance with a Man of the Match simply too hard to pick. Perhaps Gerard Benfield would be the most deserving, Poole could have blown us away had it not been for his heroics – instead, that wind well and truly changed.

Ben Trant reporting.

Wimborne: Benfield, Francis, Maybury (C), Davidson, Oldring, Pettefer, Stokoe, Clarke, T. Holmes, Burbidge, L.Holmes

Subs: Penny, Phillips, Douglas, Shepherd, Young.

Poole Town Development v Wimborne Town Development